Allow syndication feeds to disable comments on LJ
Short, concise description of the idea
I'd like there to be some mechanism for an RSS/Atom feed to indicate to LJ that LJ should not allow comments to be posted on syndicated items.
Full description of the idea
I have several sites which publish RSS feeds, and some of those are wached by a number of LJ users. Every now and then an LJ user will intend to send a comment to me (the syndicated content author) but instead of going to my site, they post a comment on LJ. I never see the comment, and two weeks later it goes up in smoke. Some time down the road, the person who left the comment wonders why I never replied. For now I've simply put an LJ-specific message in my feed (which only appears to the LJ syndication bot) but that's an ugly hack.
If LJ respected and advertised an appropriate link target (e.g. <link rel="comment-form"> or similar) and used that as the target for "post a comment," I think that would be helpful.
- This reduces the burden on content creators when it comes to finding all the comments being made to them.
- This prevents said comments from disappearing after two weeks.
- It would be purely opt-in (the default would simply not change syndicated feeds in the slightest), and is set by the feed creator, rather than by whoever sets up the LJ syndication account.
- Comments would no longer have the benefits of LJ's reply tracking (however, most comment engines provide some form of reply tracking)
- Some people might be upset by the lack of their LJ userpics or something