lj-cut syn feeds
Short, concise description of the idea
Enable the creation of syndicated accounts that lj-cut every entry
Full description of the idea
Some offsite blogs and other sites that provide RSS/Atom feeds can have content that's quite long or wide, and might not fit neatly into an LJ Friends page. In a situation other than a syndicated account, you might consider asking the account owner to use <lj-cut> tags around their content, but, of course, that won't work in the case of offsite content.
This suggestion, then, is to add a checkbox to the "Create Feed" page at http://www.livejournal.com/syn/, which would mean "lj-cut all entries in this account". Any given offsite URL, then, might map to two LJ syndicated accounts: the lj-cut one and the regular one.
- Make syndicated content available in ways that don't kill friends pages
- Give users the option as to which kind of feed they want
- We'd need a new database field to handle this
- Any given offsite URL could no longer uniquely identify a syndicated account.
- The interface for adding the lj-cut version of a feed when the non-cut version already exists (or vice versa) might be difficult
- There's now a reason to make a lot more accounts, which might bother people who are concerned about the LJ username namespace drying up