Short, concise description of the idea
A third design option, S3, if you will.
Full description of the idea
I'm a web designer by hobby. And I have to say that of all blog / community sites like this, LJ has the worst templating systems.
I suggest an S3 or a third style:
(X)HTML and CSS users can access right off the bat and be able to customize it with template tags like Smarty.
Greatestjournal.com does this and it's wonderful, very simple for those who even have limited or no knowledge.
- Web designers won't have to break their brains trying to get around through the CSS.
- The CSS won't be hidden for the layouts offered by LJ.
- HTML can be edited by the end user, we don't have to fight with Layers and Styles. As I said, I'm a web designer and I still don't understand what these are and how they're an advantage to me,
- Those without experience in HTML and CSS can jump straight into it without fear. The layouts will show their code (again, instead of hiding it).
- You can make this a Paid option style if you prefer, or a limited option for Basic and Plus users and all-access to Paid members.
- It'd be so much easier to just get in and edit the HTML just how you'd like it to be, instead of sneaking around with the CSS (which you have to hunt down through communities because LJ designs hide the CSS).
- The S2 is too confusing.
- CSS isn't shown by default when you customize your layout.
- You can't edit the HTML at all or place things exactly where you want them.
- It's very limiting.