User mail boxes should be aliased to accept either hyphens or underscores in user names.
Short, concise description of the idea
The livejournal email system should accept email addressed to a member with hyphens in place of the underscores in their user name.
Full description of the idea
The feature that allows livejournal members to receive email sent to their firstname.lastname@example.org is fantastic. But it can be a bit confusing and lead to lost email in one situation that I have encountered.
My Livejournal id is Galbinus_Caeli. But when someone looks at my journal they see Galbinus-Caeli.livejournal.com as the URL. If they try to send email to Galbinus-Caeli@livejournal.com it is lost (well, actually it is rejected, but more or less the same thing.) Galbinus_Caeli@livejournal.com works fine, but people make mistakes.
Really, since livejournal does not allow a userid to be made unique by just changing a dash to an underscore, they should be treated as identical. It should not be difficult to alias the email box with both versions.
- Reduce chance of lost email.
- Reduce confusion caused by mismatch between username and url of journal.
- World peace.
- I do not believe that LJ allows userids to be identical except for hyphen/underscore. (ie JR_Bob_Dobbs vs. JR-Bob-Dobbs). But if that is possible than my suggestion is worthless.
- Some people may think that the two addresses are treated differently when they are not.
- An extra .00005 second of cpu time when an incoming email is processed.
- Possible badger invasion.