Comment Emails optional only from other peoples journals - not my own
Short, concise description of the idea
Create an option that allows the user to separate comments within his own journal and comments of communities and other peoples journals. Give us a choice to have comments that are made in OUR own journals being send to the inbox while answers to comments made in other peoples journals are send to the email box.
Full description of the idea
I communicate a lot. With the people who are answering to my journal entries but also with people in their respective journal. In the past I thought I had organized this wonderfully:
My journal entries are made with the option "Do not Email comments", so I only get these comments to the LJ inbox.
Comments I made myself elsewhere that received replies were send to my email-box.
So far, so good. Since about 2-3 months this doesn't work anymore.
Now I also get the comments emailed to my email-box and inbox, when someone answers to comments made within MY journal entries (which you might remember: I set up specifically to receive no comments at all by email.
According to your Support Team, the reason why it worked in the past must be, that my email provider filtered those comment notifications out as spam mails. They claim that the way I want my comments to be delivered (and that worked wonderfully in the past) does not excist. And never worked in the past. But they told me to come here and suggest my way to you. So ... here I am.
I think this would work wonderfully if you would allow to have email notifications that are made by a user in a different journal under his screen-name are mailed to his email-box. At the moment you can only ask to receive an email about the comment itself.
This should go hand in hand with a change of journal entry options. Meaning if you choose to not receive email notifications of comments made within your journal entry, this should include the answers that are made to these comments as well.
- Easier way of handeling comments made within your journal
- Clear difference between comments made within your journal and comments you receive as a reply to something you wrote in other peoples journals / communities.
- Big time benefit for the user
- Better overview of feedback to personal journal entries
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Since the changes I want to suggest are optional to the user, I don't think there will be any problems / issues (as long as the LJ comments are handled on time).
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Change the "Manage Comment Settings" page to mirror the suggestion
- While doing that: Establish a clear line between the respective journal comments and comments that were made somewhere else.