Export entire journal
Short, concise description of the idea
Instead of requiring the user to export month-by-month to distribute database load on exporting an entire journal, have LiveJournal do the work by spreading out the load over 24 hours and then providing a link to download the journal.
Full description of the idea
Instead of requiring the user to distribute the database load over time, why don't you design LiveJournal to distribute the database load over time when exporting an entire journal? You could design LiveJournal so that if a user wants to export their entire journal, they could click a button, LiveJournal would tell them to come back tomorrow to download the exported journal. LiveJournal would then have 24 hours to export the whole journal and distribute the load over time. The next day the user would return, click a link, and download the journal.
This seems like a better solution than requiring the user to export month-by-month. If I've been using LiveJournal for years, this would be very tedious to do. I want to be able to export my entire journal at the click of a button, if I need to.
This is one major sticking point for me to adopt LiveJournal as my personal journal.
- Easier for the user to download the entire journal with just a few mouse clicks
- Eases LiveJournal database load when exporting because the process is spread out over time
- Provides a one-step method to backup your entire journal, rather than the tedious month-by-month method
- Gives peace-of-mind to the user - they know they can download their entire journal at any time
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Requires the user to wait 24 hours to download the compiled journal
- LiveJournal will need to compile all the entries into one file
- Filesize of journal may be large depending on the number/type of entries
- LiveJournal would need to save the compiled journal file for a time so the user could have time to download it
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Provide a link to compile entire journal with typical export options
- LiveJournal tells user to return in 24 hours
- LiveJournal spreads out the load of exporting over a 24 hour period to ease load on database
- User receives an email from LiveJournal indicating that their journal is ready for download and provides a link
- User clicks on the link and downloads the compiled journal