Add ability to change privacy level of all posts, regardless of their current privacy level
Short, concise description of the idea
Mass-update the privacy level of posts which were originally posted under a friends filter to another privacy level.
Full description of the idea
I just stumbled across the "Edit Journal Privacy" tool (http://www.livejournal.com/editprivacy.bml). I have no idea how long it's been there, but I'm really happy to see it! I especially like that I can select a date range.
I would like to suggest an extension of the current functionality. Currently, I can only change the privacy level of posts from one level of pre-defined privacy (that is: public, friends, or private) to another level of pre-defined privacy (public, friends or private). If I have posted entries using friends filters, I cannot use this tool to change the privacy level of those posts.
I would like to be able to mass-update the privacy level of those posts which were originally posted under a friends filter to another privacy level. The most general case is being able to switch from any privacy level (either the LJ pre-defined ones or my own friends filters) to any other privacy level (as before, either the LJ pre-defined ones or my own friends filters). However, for my purposes, this is overkill. I would be quite happy to change all posts (regardless of their existing security level) to one of the pre-defined types.
- Users can change the level of privacy of all of their posts, not just those posts that use one of LJ's pre-defined privacy settings.
- Users can easily make their whole journal, or certain date ranges in their journal, private.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Solving the general case adds complexity to the functionality, which might be messy, both in terms of the user interface and in terms of your code.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- To get the basic functionality that I want, you can add "All posts" under "From". This solves my need.
- But others might not be as easily pleased as I am. ;) To solve the general case, you could use something similar to what is used in the "Update Journal" webpage for selecting each security level. I can either select public, friends, or private (I would also still "all posts" here); or I can select "custom..." which will bring up a list of my friends filters. Then, as on the current page, I select my from: and to: filters.