add "likes" list in addition to "interests" list
Short, concise description of the idea
"Interests" are not "likes."
Full description of the idea
A graduate student in my department wrote his thesis about vermin, specifically rats and cockroaches in literature. He does not "like" rats and cockroaches, but is interested in how we portray them in fiction.
By adding a "likes" list, we can avoid all the recent unpleasantness about what shows up in people's "interest" lists.
- Accurately reflect what users like vs. what interests them.
- Avoid unpleasantness of late on LJ.
- Help users better understand other users and match interests and likes.
- Allows for more granularity in user profiles, as we can understand what's and interest and what's a like.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Requires people to split up interests and likes.
- Requires LJ to create a new field and allow more listed items in profiles.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Create a new field in the User Profile section.