Auto delete old posts that you're tracking
Short, concise description of the idea
Have setting to automatically delete old subscriptions from the message center.
Full description of the idea
I have way too many subscriptions to old posts and threads. So many, in fact, that I can't even get in there to edit them because LJ is choking on the list and giving me an error.
After a while, there is basically no reason to continue tracking replies to a post or comment thread, because nobody is going to go that far back in a community and reply to a month old post.
Have a setting so that you can automatically delete old subscriptions in the message center so that you won't have to do it manually. It can be set to maybe 30 days, 60 days, or 90...whatever everyone feels is most appropriate.
Also, have a way to protect certain important subscriptions from being automatically deleted.
I suppose the same could be done for messages in the message center as well.
- Less strain on servers from people that love the subscriptions feature, but are too lazy to delete them.
- Keeps the subscription area tidy so you can see what you're tracking.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Will take time and effort to code.
- Could cause strain to servers, having to automatically delete subscriptions after a specified amount of time (although, judging by the errors I'm getting, it's harder on the servers to have a lot of subscriptions listed)
- Could be a problem if this was set to ON by default...people could lose subscriptions and/or messages that they wanted to keep...I'd prefer if it was optional.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Have an option in the manage subscriptions screen that gives you the option of turning this feature on, and what frequency to set it at.
- Add a 'protect' icon to each subscription (or protect button at bottom that says 'protect all checked subscriptions (or something)'
- Also do the same to the comments screen to give option to protect them.