On user info pages, instead of “gender” being a choice between male and female, there will be a blank text box where users can type in anything they want.
1. Transgender, genderqueer, and intersexed users will not have to choose between “male” and “female.”
2. Traditionally gendered people will still be able to type in “male” or “female.”
3. A textbox is preferable to adding more genders to the current system (such as MtF or FtM), because no matter how many choices there are, there will still be someone who does not fit into any established category.
4. People who do not want to reveal their gender can type in “undisclosed” or something to that effect.
1. Someone will have to figure out how to make sure all the current gender choices remain on people’s user info pages during and after implementation.
Suggestions for implementation
1. Figure out how to maintain the currently existing gender choices.
2. Change the response option for “gender” to a text box.