Closed community vs. entry notification emails
Short, concise description of the idea
If a community is closed to new members, don't include a suggestion to join it in notification emails for new entries there.
Full description of the idea
If you are not a member of a community, and you have a subscription to email you when new public entries are posted in the community, there is a reminder in the notification email:
- Join examplecommunity to read Members-only entries:
This is great if membership is open. If membership is moderated or closed, it is not great.
The notification system should be modified to be aware of the community's status, and change the line to "Apply to join examplecommunity to read members-only entries" if the community is on moderated membership, and omit the line entirely if the community is closed.
- Less frustration for users who try to join but can't
- Less frustration for community owners/maintainers/moderators who get questions about why can't someone join
- Less frustration for support in case they get the questions
- Better accuracy in notifications
- Increasing load slightly for subscription mailing