Link the site search page and the directory from menus
Short, concise description of the idea
The Directory is useful for searching for journals in various ways, but it's very difficult to find.
Full description of the idea
LiveJournal has a Directory Search feature available to Early Adopter, Plus, Paid, and Permanent users, which lets you find users by various criteria such as age or location.
One particularly useful feature, in my opinion, is the ability to find users who list a given journal as a friend - this can be handy for finding who else likes your favourite syndicated account, for example, because they don't list the names of readers on their profile, only the number of readers.
However, this Directory Search feature doesn't seem to be linked from the menus anywhere. It's not even on the "Full Sitemap" at http://www.livejournal.com/site/! Nor, for that matter, is the search page at http://www.livejournal.com/site/sea
Fortunately, the Directory is linked to from the FAQ: http://www.livejournal.com/support/faqb
What I am proposing is that the Directory and/or the Search page get linked to from the menus as well, to make them more discoverable. The Explore menu would seem to be the obvious candidate.
- Easier to find the Directory
- Lets users find other users by a variety of criteria that aren't possible otherwise
- Lets users find people interested in the same external feeds they are
- Lets users find who lists a given account as a friend even if that person has chosen to hide their friend-of list
- Clutters up the menu, making it longer
- Not immediately clear what the difference is between "Explore" and "Search" pages