Adult post flagging in communities
Short, concise description of the idea
That maintainers of a community should be able to change the rating of a post between adult, explicit and unmarked.
Full description of the idea
Communities may contain adult posts as well as posts suitable for minors. Restricting the community as a whole prevents minors from taking part in appropriate discussions.
Going forward communities can require posters to mark their posts appropriately
For existing posts, particularly for long established communities, the original poster may be unavailable to mark the post. This risks the community being made unavailable to many of its members if it is marked as adult.
For new posts the poster may wilfully or mistakenly not think that a post needs marking.
Comments may change the post rating without the original poster being aware of this.
Occasionally posts are changed after generating useful discussion. This can be malicious and would probably not be marked properly.
These posts could be deleted, but that removes valuable discussion and comment, again particularly from long established communities. Allowing maintainers to mark as appropriate does take some control from the original poster, but far less than deleting wholesale. The same loss of control takes place when a comment is flagged and compulsorily marked.
Ideally the adult marking could be mass applied to all old posts and then removed as possible from suitable posts thus not risking exposing minors while old posts are checked.
- Posts can be marked appropriately.
- Old posts can be marked appropriately.
- Communities need not be forced into becoming adult only and disenfranchising members because some posts are marked wrongly.
- May start a revert war with poster and maintainer disagreeing about correct rating. I imagine this is self-limiting.
- I don’t know enough about the coding to know how easy this is.